Good evening, families! Below is a copy of our 19/20 welcome back letter to Henry Ford. All families are receiving a copy of this letter in the mail this week. Accompanying this letter is your child’s classroom assignment for the 19/20 school year. Thank you for taking care to review this information.
Click below to download this information in Arabic.
August 15, 2019
Dear Henry Ford Elementary Families,
As we enter the 2019-2020 school year, I am excited to begin a partnership with you as we work together to provide a challenging, fun and memorable school year for our students. As your child’s new principal, I have worked throughout the summer, hand in hand with the wonderful Henry Ford staff, to prepare for this school year. I look forward to sharing with you our vision and plans once the school year begins.
The following are important bits of information to prepare you for the beginning of the school year. If you have any questions, feel free to stop in or email me at email@example.com
Jump Start for Select Kindergarten Families
Select kindergarten families are invited to attend Jump Start on Monday, August 19th through Wednesday, August 21st. Jump Start is typically reserved for families who have not yet attended school or who did not attend pre-kindergarten in the Dearborn Public Schools. Parents should plan to drive Jump Start kinders each day from 9am-12pm. If your kindergarten student was not invited to Jump Start and you would like more information, please contact our main office at 313-827-4700.
Soft Start to Kindergarten
- Monday, August 26th: Henry Ford staff discourages bus transportation for our kindergarten students on the first day of school. Additionally, parents will be signing up for a “screener” appointment. Parents, please park in the main parking lot on Driscoll or walk your child to school.
- 8:50 am – Parents and students meet in Main Cafeteria – parents leave after signing up for student screener and students stay with their classroom teacher until dismissal at 11:30 from Main Cafe.
- 9:25 am – Parents may leave and teachers walk students to class
- 11:30 am: Parents return to pick up children (Main Cafeteria). Students have officially completed their first day of school.
Tuesday, August 27th, Wednesday, August 28th, and Thursday, August 29th:
- 8:35 am – 11:15 am: Scheduled assessment time for 20-minute increments, children come in with parents.
- 12:00 pm – 3:35 pm: The school day begins! Students are brought to school by parents (no busses) and attend their assigned classroom. Students dismiss on busses or with parents at the end of the day. Note that lunch is served Wednesday & Thursday once students arrive.
- Tuesday, September 3rd (8:35 am – 3:35 pm): Today marks the first regularly scheduled day of school for our kindergarten students. Students report to assigned teacher’s classroom. Kindergarten students can also ride the bus both to and from school beginning Tuesday 9/3.
Class rosters will be posted on Thursday, August 22. Rosters will be displayed on the glass windows of the link on the 2nd and 3rd-grade playground near Mercury Drive. You also have received your child’s assignment with this letter.
While the Dearborn Public Schools provides all school supplies and learning materials required for all students, parents often request a list of additional materials they may choose to purchase.
- Optional supply lists organized by grade level can be found at https://hford.dearbornschools.org
- Click the 19/20 School Supplies tab at the top of the page
If your family lives in a bussing area, you will receive a letter in the mail the week before school starts. This letter will contain information regarding your bus stop, pick-up and drop-off times, and the bus number your child will ride. Please be sure to talk to your child about this bus number. Our school staff will take care of each day to ensure your child rides the correct bus to and from school. Please review bus behavior expectations with your child. Our goal is a safe ride to and from school, with the bus driver able to focus on transporting students. Remind students to, (1) Keep voices low; (2) Stay seated; (3) Keep all property in place.
First Day of School Line Up
Each grade level will report to an assigned location (see map), kindergarteners are joined by an adult. Teachers will be holding a color-coded balloon as noted below.
- Kindergarten: Students are escorted to school by a parent, families report to the Main Cafeteria.
- 1st Grade (Pink Balloons): Line up on the 2nd/3rd playground off Mercury Drive. Students should stand near the Annex building, closest to the Art room windows.
- 2nd Grade (Orange Balloons): Line up on the 2nd/3rd playground off Mercury Drive. Students should stand near the blacktop adjacent to the glass link between the Annex and Main Buildings.
- 3rd Grade (Green Balloons): Line up on the 2nd/3rd playground off Mercury Drive. Third graders will stand closest to the addition building, near the playground fence on Mercury Drive.
- 4th Grade (Purple Balloons): Line up on the 2nd/3rd playground. Report to the blacktop near the assistant principal’s office.
- 5th Grade (Dark Blue Balloons): Line up off Mercury Drive, under the overhang for the Mercury Drive doors.
Parent Connect Update
- Visit https://dearbornschools.org
- Click on Parent Portal
- Click on Parent Connect
- Can’t remember pin and password? Underneath login in the left-hand corner, there is a link that says “Need Your Login Information?” This link will email your pin and password.
- To update student forms, you must use a computer NOT a tablet or cell phone.
- Monday, August 26th: First day of school (8:35 am – 11:45 am)
- Tuesday, August 27th: First full day of school (8:35 am – 3:35 pm) for grades 1 through 5. Lunch begins today. Kindergarten students will attend school from 12:00 pm- 3:35 pm, Tuesday 8/27 through Thursday 8/29; in addition to their scheduled AM assessment appointment.
- Meet the Principal will also be this day, Tuesday, August 27th from 5-6pm
- Friday, August 30th and Monday, September 2nd: No School, Labor Day Recess
- Thursday, Sept 12th: Open House (6:00pm – 7:30pm)
Please keep in mind that now, around mid-August, is a good time to begin transitions for our children. We should adjust bedtimes and wake up times so that students are beginning basic schedules to help get back into the routine of school. Most importantly, continue reading with your child each day to help prepare them for September assessments. In the coming weeks, you should look for an invitation to a class meeting. Each classroom teacher will host a meeting and you will receive information regarding procedures, assessments, academic goals, parent involvement activities, blogs and daily responsibilities and expectations at Henry Ford Elementary.
We look forward to a successful 2019-2020 school year!
Henry Ford Elementary